Robin is a partner who practises in the fields of litigation and intellectual property (contentious and non-contentious). He has considerable experience in contentious IP work, including litigation concerning the infringement and revocation of patents which protect medical devices, pharmaceuticals and electronic devices.
Robin is also experienced in trade mark law (including comparative advertising) and passing off and acts, amongst others, on behalf of plaintiffs and defendants operating in the FMCG, motor and entertainment industries.
Robin acted for McCambridge Ltd in its successful proceedings before the High Court and Supreme Court establishing the passing off of its bread packaging by a competitor and in the subsequent claim in the High Court for an account of the defendant’s profits. He is also particularly active in advising clients in contractual disputes over the licensing of technology. He is currently defending a leading provider of syndicated news/media content in respect of multiple claims alleging copyright infringement. Other ongoing work includes representation of several plaintiffs in High Court defamation claims.
Recent examples of Robin’s litigation successes include:
- Part of Whitney Moore team who acted for client Merck Sharpe & Dohme in landmark Supreme Court judgment concerning the correct approach to the grant of preliminary injunctions; click here to read a summary of the issues and here to read the Supreme Court’s judgment.
- Acted for insurer Allianz in obtaining High Court injunctions to prevent financial services firm from using social media, including YouTube, to make false claims regarding its insurance status; click here to read more.
- Represented a chief technology officer in a widely reported breach of privacy dispute with Cubic Telecom. For coverage in ‘The Times’ click here and ‘The Irish Times’ click here.
- Represented the Welsh Government in its successful sovereign immunity challenge, click here to read some media coverage and here to read a summary of the issues.
- Represented several publishers in their successful jurisdiction challenges in proceedings for alleged copyright infringement carried out online, click here to read more.
- Acted for the plaintiff in the first Lariam case to be settled in Ireland by Roche, the manufacturer of the drug. Click here to read more.
- Acted for the plaintiff in a High Court (Commercial) trade mark infringement and passing off claim. Click here to read more.
- Represented the plaintiff in Ireland’s leading passing off case, click here to read a summary and here for the majority judgment of the Supreme Court.
- Acted for the applicant in successful application for the revocation of the Giordano trade mark. Click here to read more.
Robin is listed in international legal directories and is recommended in intellectual property in both Chambers Europe and The Legal 500 EMEA. He lectures on the Law Society’s Trade Mark Law and Technology Law diploma courses.
Awards and recommendations
Recent awards and recommendations include:
- Ranked as a ‘Next Generation Lawyer’ by The Legal500 EMEA 2019.
- Recommended as an Expert by Who’s Who Legal 2019.
- Managing Intellectual Property EMEA Awards 2019 – Whitney Moore named Patent Contentious Firm of the year 2019 – Ireland and shortlisted for the “Trademark Contentious firm of the year 2019 – Ireland.”
Robin is consistently recommended by international legal journals such as The Legal 500 EMEA and Chambers Europe and has been since 2013. Quotes include:
‘Robin Hayes wins praise for being “personable, easy to work with, practical and very helpful”.’
The Legal 500 EMEA 2019
‘Robin moves up the rankings following impressive market endorsements. One interviewee states: “I rate him very highly in the IP space; he is very strong.”
Chambers Europe 2019
‘Robin Hayes is recommended as a “Next Generation Lawyer” and described by clients as “very clever”.’
The Legal 500 EMEA 2018
‘Robin is praised for his “proactive, no-nonsense attitude” and his ability to “provide clear and comprehensive advice.”‘
Chambers Europe 2018
‘Robin Hayes is recommended as a “Next Generation Lawyer” and recognised for his handling of various copyright infringement cases.’
The Legal 500 EMEA 2017
‘Star associate Robin Hayes continues to strengthen his practice in both advisory and litigious IP matters for clients in a range of sectors, with a focus on the pharmaceutical and healthcare industries. He defended the Welsh government in a copyright infringement claim pertaining to the use of photographs of Dylan Thomas. One interviewee says: “He is technically very good, highly efficient and responsive to all our demands”.’
Chambers Europe 2017
‘Robin Hayes has a significant practice in breach of confidence mandates and passing off proceedings. His broader activity recently included advising Tribune Content Agency on alleged copyright infringement. Sources point out that “his knowledge of the law seems excellent and he is very diligent and dedicated”.’
Chambers Europe 2016
‘Robin Hayes is a “very attentive” IP lawyer who is noted for his contentious capabilities, particularly in the trade mark sphere.’
Chambers Europe 2015