Gerry is a litigation specialist and has handled some of the largest and most complex cases to come before the Irish Courts. He also has extensive experience of international litigation practice involving European and US courts. While acting in commercial disputes for clients across a broad range of activities, Gerry has considerable experience of insurance, product liability, professional indemnity, professional disciplinary, intellectual property and aviation litigation.
Specific relevant expertise includes:
- Acting for insurers in defending a wide range of claims, including:
- Professional indemnity – defending claims against architects, surveyors, engineers and insurance brokers.
- Product liability – defending claims arising out of alleged product failures or faults giving rise to personal injury and property damage.
- Aviation – defending several claims for insurers of major airlines and general aviation interests arising from accidents including multiple fatalities, personal injury and property damage; pursuing and defending claims in relation to maintenance disputes and disputes concerning damage to aircrafts; actions for repossession of aircraft under lease, including an action which involved five Citation jet aircraft.
- Acting in several disputes concerning distribution agreements, dealership agreements, their implementation and termination, contractual disputes of all kinds, product liability claims and shareholder disputes.
- Judicial Review including Judicial Review of decisions of Revenue, An Bord Pleanála, Bord Altranais (the Nursing Board) and Chartered Accountants Ireland.
- Extensive litigation in the area of insolvency, in particular voluntary and Court liquidations and in receiverships. Experience includes acting for a liquidator in respect of contested claims of creditors, litigation with borrowers from a company in receivership for the purpose of enforcing loan agreements and guarantees and most recently litigation (which settled) on behalf of a liquidator concerning losses sustained by the company prior to liquidation as a result of the supply of defective goods and equipment.
- Considerable experience of ADR, in particular mediation. Mediations have encompassed contractual disputes concerning the termination of contracts, dispute with a network of dealers concerning their entitlement to remuneration and commission, dispute with an insurance provider of a “corporate crime policy” (in respect of fraud) in which he acted for a financial Institution leading to the settlement of a multi-million Euro claim.
- Acting for Chartered Accountants Ireland for over 20 years in the prosecution of members and member firms before its Disciplinary and Appeals Tribunals and advising Chartered Accountants Ireland’s Conduct Committee, several Special Investigators and advising in respect of investigations generally.
- Acting for over 30 years for a major Irish vehicle importer and distributor, advising on all of its contractual arrangements with manufacturers and dealers, including termination of dealerships, advising on EU Block Exemption Regulation requirements, defending actions for damages for termination and acting in multiple actions before the Irish Courts alleging product faults and failures.
- Acting in several high profile intellectual property litigation matters concerning patents and trademarks. Patent actions have involved infringement and revocation actions concerning pharmaceutical and veterinary drugs and coronary heart stents.
Gerry qualified as a solicitor in 1984, having obtained a Bachelor of Civil Law degree at University College Dublin. He became partner in 1989. He was head of our Dispute Resolution team from 1995 to 2002. Gerry was Managing Partner of the firm from 2003 to 2009.
He appears in international legal directories and is recommended as a leading lawyer by Chambers Europe and The Legal 500 EMEA. Gerry is a member of the IBA, DRI Europe and the Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association. and AOPA.
He is also a member of the Law Society of Ireland’s Regulation of Practice Committee. Gerry is a qualified and very active pilot with a particular interest in aviation law.
Gerry is consistently recommended by international legal journals such as The Legal 500 EMEA, Chambers Global and Chambers Europe and has been since 2007. Quotes include:
Gerry is described as ‘one of the stand-out practitioners to go to in aviation in Ireland‘.
The Legal 500 EMEA 2019
‘According to sources, Gerry “has a huge wealth of experience, as evidenced in the advice he provides and the way he deals with his clients.” He is well regarded for his knowledge of professional discipline claims, judicial review proceedings and regulatory law, often representing professional associations.’
Chambers Global 2019
‘Gerry Carroll is recommended as a leading lawyer and praised by clients “an excellent communicator”.’
The Legal 500 EMEA 2018
‘Gerry is characterised by clients as “thoughtful, strategic and prompt in responding.”‘
Chambers Europe 2018
‘Gerry Carroll is recommended as a leading lawyer and noted for his regulatory work.’
The Legal 500 EMEA 2017
‘Sources describe Gerry Carroll as a “good lawyer” and praise his “vast experience”. He has been active on professional disciplinary proceedings.’
Chambers Europe 2017
‘Gerry Carroll is an experienced and broadly respected practitioner who handles all manner of commercial disputes. As a qualified pilot he brings unique experience to aviation industry disputes, acting for a wide range of airline, travel and tourism operators.’
Chambers Europe 2016
‘According to sources Gerry Carroll is “helpful, diligent and efficient, as well as being friendly and easy to work with, and very committed to his clients.” He has significant expertise in aviation law, frequently advising airlines and aviation insurers on contentious matters.’
Chambers Europe 2015
‘Described as “a true businessman . . . a fantastic litigator. He puts you through your paces but at the same time it is a pleasure to deal with him”.’
The Legal 500 EMEA 2015