Robin practises in the fields of litigation and intellectual property (contentious and non-contentious). He has considerable experience in contentious IP work, including litigation involving claims of infringement and revocation of patents which protect medical devices, pharmaceuticals and electronic point-of-sale devices.
Robin is also experienced in trade mark law (including comparative advertising), passing off and acting, amongst others, on behalf of plaintiffs and defendants operating in the FMCG, motor and entertainment industries.
Robin acted for McCambridge Limited in its successful proceedings before the High Court and Supreme Court alleging passing off of its bread packaging by a competitor and also in its subsequent claim in the High Court for an account of the defendant’s profits. He is also particularly active in advising clients in contractual disputes over the licensing of technology. He is currently defending a leading provider of syndicated news/media content in respect of multiple claims alleging copyright infringement. Other ongoing work includes representation of several plaintiffs in High Court defamation claims.
Recent examples of Robin’s litigation successes include:
- Represented Patrick Trane in the widely reported privacy dispute with Cubic Telecom. For coverage in The Times click here and The Irish Times click here.
- Represented the Welsh Government in its successful sovereign immunity challenge, click here to read some media coverage and here to read a summary of the issues.
- Represented several publishers in their successful jurisdiction challenges in proceedings for alleged copyright infringement carried out online, click here to read more.
- Acted for the plaintiff in the first Lariam case to be settled in Ireland by Roche, the manufacturer of the drug. Click here to read more.
- Acted for the plaintiff in a High Court (Commercial) trade mark infringement and passing off claim. Click here to read more.
- Represented the plaintiff in Ireland’s leading passing off case, click here to read a summary and here for the majority judgment of the Supreme Court.
- Acted for the applicant in successful application for the revocation of the Giordano trade mark. Click here to read more.
Robin joined Whitney Moore in 2004, having obtained a Business and Economics degree from Trinity College Dublin and a Diploma in Legal Studies from Dublin Institute of Technology. He qualified as a solicitor in January 2007 and became a partner in 2017. Robin is also a lecturer on the Law Society’s Trade Mark Law and Technology Law diploma courses. Robin is listed in international legal directories and is recommended in intellectual property in both Chambers Europe and The Legal 500 EMEA.
Robin is consistently recommended by international legal journals such as The Legal 500 EMEA and Chambers Europe and has been since 2013. Quotes include:
Robin is ranked as a “Next Generation” lawyer by Chambers Europe where he is praised for his “proactive, no-nonsense attitude” and his ability to “provide clear and comprehensive advice.”
Chambers Europe 2018
‘Robin Hayes is recommended as a “Next Generation Lawyer” and recognised for his handling of various copyright infringement cases.’
The Legal 500 EMEA 2017
‘Star associate Robin Hayes continues to strengthen his practice in both advisory and litigious IP matters for clients in a range of sectors, with a focus on the pharmaceutical and healthcare industries. He defended the Welsh government in a copyright infringement claim pertaining to the use of photographs of Dylan Thomas. One interviewee says: “He is technically very good, highly efficient and responsive to all our demands”.’
Chambers Europe 2017
‘Robin Hayes has a significant practice in breach of confidence mandates and passing off proceedings. His broader activity recently included advising Tribune Content Agency on alleged copyright infringement. Sources point out that “his knowledge of the law seems excellent and he is very diligent and dedicated”.’
Chambers Europe 2016
‘Robin Hayes is a “very attentive” IP lawyer who is noted for his contentious capabilities, particularly in the trade mark sphere.’
Chambers Europe 2015
‘Robin Hayes attracts strong commendations from clients: “His style is hard-working, diligent, thorough and tenacious.” He led the team advising McCambridge on a passing off appeal before the Supreme Court, successfully obtaining an injunction against the defendant company.’
Chambers Europe 2014